Easy Gazpacho: antioxidants in a soup bowl
This chilled Spanish soup with summer favorites like tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers packs a lot of flavor as well as antioxidants.
- 3 tomatoes (large, ~1.5 lbs, any variety, deseeded)
- 1 cucumber (medium, ~6"-7", deseed only if the seeds are too big)
- 1 white onion (small, can sub with other varieties)
- 1 red pepper (large, can sub with any other color, deseeded)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (can add an extra tbsp of parsley for a robust flavor)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (or sub with equal amount basil)
- 1 clove garlic (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (~1.5 large lemon)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (can sub with equal amount balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil*
- 3/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt (or to taste, can sub with regular salt)
- 1/4 jalapeño (seeded)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper powder (optional)
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
Wash all the vegetables under running water.
Deseed the tomatoes, jalapeño, and red pepper. Seasonal cucumbers have soft and tiny seeds, so it is find not to remove seeds. However, if the cucumber seeds are hard and big, remove them before adding cucumber to the soup.
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until well mixed. Chill for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
- Use flaxseed oil to take the "HEALTHY" level to the next notch.
- Omit oil, to make the oil-free version. It still tastes awesome.
- If you want your gazpacho to be of slightly thinner consistency, add 1/2 cup of filtered water.
- If you like basil, replace cilantro with equal amount basil
Serving: 0.75cupCalories: 46kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 1gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 294mgPotassium: 147mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 758IUVitamin C: 36mgCalcium: 11mgIron: 1mg