Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
A creamy soup that celebrates the flavor of butternut squash!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small-to-medium butternut squash, cubed around 31/2 heaping cups
- 1 medium sweet onion, around 1 cup chopped
- 2 stalks celery, around 3/4 cup chopped
- 1 small carrot, around 1/2 cup, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or water* (plus 3-4 tbsp liquid for baking the squash)
- 1 tbsp cilantro**, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds (or any other kind such as sunflower seeds)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ,optional
Preheat the over to 400 degree Fahrenheit. Peel and cube butternut squash and spread in a single layer on a baking pan with 3-4 tbsp of water or vegetable broth. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
While squash is in the oven, heat coconut oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add sweet onion and cook until translucent (around 2-3 minutes). Add celery and carrots; cook until soft around edges (around 5-8 minutes). Add salt and vegetable broth (or water) and bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat.
Once the squash is cooked, add it to the soup pot along with coarsely chopped cilantro. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the squash is well-blended with rest of the vegetables in the pot.
Keep the soup aside to cool. In the meantime, dry roast pumpkin seeds on an iron skillet (or toaster oven) for 2-3 minutes.
Once cooled, puree the soup in a blender until smooth and creamy. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
*add or decrease liquid to change the soup consistency to your liking. The amount of liquid in this recipe renders a thick, creamy texture.
**can substitute it with parsley in equal proportion.
Make it low-sodium
This soup can be made with very little or no salt at all. To make it low-sodium decrease salt amount to 1/4-3/8 tsp.
Make it low in fat and saturated fat
- Instead of coconut oil, use olive oil, which is low in saturated fat.
- Instead of 1 tbsp use 1 tsp of pumpkin seeds.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 195kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 8gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 434mgPotassium: 582mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 22850IUVitamin C: 42.9mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 2.5mg