Wake up your taste buds and boost digestion with this enzyme-rich digestive radish, carrot, and ginger salad with tomatotes. This quick and flavor-rich salad makes a great side to any meal, especially with slightly bland main course meals.
This is an heirloom recipe from my grandmother, passed onto my mom. My mom made this salad often whenever carrot and radish were in season.
This crunchy digestive radish, carrot, and ginger salad with tomatotes offers the experience of super complex tongue-tickling flavors. Radishes add the slightly sweet and hot with pungent hint of peppers. This is somwhat matched by the similar flavor profile of ginger and balanced by sweet carrots and sweet and sour tomatoes and lemon juice.
Ingredients: enzyme- and mineral-rich
Enzymes play a super important role in keeping us healthy. Some enzymes such as metabolic enzymes and digestive enzymes are produced naturally in the body, but raw foods are also a great source of food enzymes that help with food digestion . This digestive radish, carrot, and ginger salad with tomatotes has enzyme-rich ingredients that may help boost digestion. Here is the ingredient list for the salad:
- Radish: this root vegetable is a mineral powershouse and comes in a vareity of colors-such as white, red, purple and black. In this salad, we have used moo radish. Radish is an enzyme-rich food and has been used in folk medicine as a natural drug against many toxic substances . Aside from its health benefits, it's sweet and peppery taste can brighten any salad.
Caution: radish is a cruciferous plant and contains goitergenic substances, which can decrease the activity of thyroid gland . Therefore, it's best not to go on a mono-diet of radish. If you have hypothyroid like me, it's best not to eat this salad frequently.
- Carrots: rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, carrot is a nutrition powerhouse. On the flavor front, the sweetness in carrot balances the slightly peppery radish flavor.
- Ginger: a natural immunity and digestion booster, ginger is high in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory and anti-emetic properties.
It's best to make this salad fresh as radishes, once grated can emit their peppery, pungent smell in the refrigerator. Just make sure to purchase the ingredients for the salad.
You may also like on TLC..
Digestive Radish, Carrot, Ginger salad with Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup radish (grated, any variety)
- 1/2 cup carrots (grated, ~1 medium carrot)
- 1/2 cup tomatotes (cherry tomatotes or roma tomatoes are preferred, but any variety works)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (fresh, grated, can increase the amount to 1 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt (or to taste, can sub with any other variety)
- 3 pinches freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp homemade cumin powder (optional, sub with store-bought version)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (fresh, ~1 large lemon, or adjust to taste)
- 1.5 tbsp cilantro (optional)
- Wash all the produce under cold, running water. Pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Mix grated radish, carrots, and ginger in a wide-mouth bowl. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well with a fork. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Top with finely chopped cilantro and mix well. Enjoy!
- You can easily substitute radish with turnips.
- Substitue lemon with lime.
- Howell, Edward. Enzyme Nutrition. 1st edition, Avery Publishing Group, 1995.